Friday, April 14, 2006

I dunno, it's all Finnish to me

In honor of Easter/Passover, there has been a mass exodus of my friends.

In some ways it's good (my roommate is spending the weekend with her mother in a hotel so I get the room to myself), in some ways it's bad (I have to find someone to do the radio show with me tomorrow or else I have to do it alone. Eep.)

I remember when my family used to actually celebrate Easter. We kind of still do, but now it's more like "Chocolate Day." We used to at least go to church - we were bored out of our minds, but hey, showing up is 90% of the job! Then one day we had a landscaper come on Easter morning. And we never went back.

I actually have to go to a church service next week to write a paper about it for my Religious Thought class. JP, who is in my class, and I will probably be going to a service at the Greek Orthodox church in DC. It probably would have been a good idea to go on Easter but he's at home for the weekend and there's no way I'm going by myself.

I just know the second I walk in they'll smell the heresy on me and throw my sinful ass out onto the street. Or tie me down and make me watch "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." Terrible movie. The Greeks can all thank Nia Vardalos for inventing the greatest Greek torture device of all time.

...Now see, I just felt that I used "Greek" too many times in one sentence, so I typed it into thesaurus.com, and I love how Greek is basically equated with "bullshit."

Main Entry: drivel
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: talk
Synonyms: babble, balderdash, blather, bosh, bunk, bunkum, double-talk, gibberish, gobbledygook, Greek, hogwash, hooey, jabber, nonsense, poppycock, prating, rot, rubbish, stuff, tripe, twaddle

Why Greek? What did they ever do to anyone? (Forget the existence of Nia Vardalos for a moment.) I couldn't tell Greek from Czech from Scandinavian. It's like saying all Italians are mobsters, or all Asians are geniuses (Gina of ANTM fame killed that stereotype good and dead). All Greeks are full of BALDERDASH!

1 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home