Saturday, June 10, 2006

employ'd!

I finally got a job! Sort of. ER had a babysitting job lined up for the summer but can't do it anymore because of her internship/other job/mono. So she referred me to the woman and she called me today. I'm going over to meet the mother/kid and babysit for a few hours on Tuesday. It's going to be around 15 hours a week, but possibly (hopefully) more.

ER said she was getting $10/hr for this, but the woman asked me how much I charge over the phone, and I didn't have the time to think, "Oh, I should lie," and I just said $6 or $7 because that's true! I don't know what kind of shitty babysitting jobs I had in high school, but I never got paid much more than $5/hr. Maybe $6. I got paid more at Sears. Ugh.

Then again, I am kind of a terrible babysitter. I've never had a kid die or get lost or anything, but my method of dealing with them is to let them wander off while I watch TBS. I tend to keep interaction to a minimum. That's not gonna fly this summer, though, because A) I'll be spending 15 hours a week with this kid (an 8-year-old named Joanie), and B) I'm also supposed to sort of tutor her in math and English. Oh...kay. Not that I mind, but I feel bad for the poor 2nd grader whose mom is going to make her do math worksheets all summer.

1 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want that job too!
$7.50 an hour to fold clothes isnt gonna cut it
And I'd probably be a better tutor too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home